Saturday, September 11, 2010

Another day, another NZ$


Well, things are progressing... slowly.  I have submitted a few CVs and hopefully will be able to start going for interviews in the next week!

There are a couple of things that really stood out for me in the past week, and I will briefly list some of them (as they come to mind):
* No parking attendants!  You can park ANYWHERE you want without someone waiting for a handout and showing you how and where to park!! 
* You don't have to lock your car if you go into a shop...
* I haven't heard an ambulance or police siren since I got here
* No armed response guards... anywhere!
* Things around here get done as and when promised.  None of that "we'll be there tomorrow between 9am and 5pm" bullshit and then they never pitch up - I'm looking at you Telkom!  When the service delivery companies say they will be at your place at 10am then that is exactly when you can expect them.  Barring a major disaster, of course.
That's it for now... I'll update as and when I can

Oh yeah... the Pacific Islander placenames are very cool and truly weird... for instance, there is a place very close to Porirua (where I am) called Papakowhai, but it is pronounced Papakofai... every placename with a "wh" is pronounced as an "f"... which, like I said, is weird.  This only counts for the Maori and Pacific type names... 

Anyway, I had the opportunity to go for both a walk and a drive and took a few pictures, just to give you an idea of what this part of New Zealand looks like:
 


This is Aotea neighbourhood... where I am currently living
Kiddies playground in Aotea

Some more of Aotea
Photo one of Lake Tawa
Number two
And the last one... pretty eh?
Some of the fruit you can buy here... the usual oranges and mandarins, golden kiwis (very tasty), tamarillos (the red fruit), man sized bananas and then Japanese-man sized bananas on the right...
 That's it for now... catch you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment